View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
So, my question is, should I:
acccept that I am an inherently thick person with no hope?
Eat more protein, less carbs?
Cut calories overall?
Work harder?

Your thoughts in general would be helpful. I know myself, I think I know what I am doing with my diet and exercise.

But obviously, I would not be here unless I needed some help, so no thoughts are unwelcome. You never know what might strike a bell.

Thanks.
Everyone has hope. Every day I work with normal people who transform into bodybuilders and figure competitors, and they started with poor genetics and excess fat. You can look great.

We have 3 issues at play here:

1) You want to lose a bit more fat.
2) You want to build up some muscle.
3) You are unsure about your diet.

Most individuals that can cut fat and gain muscle at the same time are young men. Very rarely can it happen effectively for 90% of the population. Those that can re-comp at a later age either have amazing genetics and a great diet, or they are lucky.

Since you are not a bodybuilder, my advice is to shed the 10 pounds of fat and go from their. Re-assess your physique at that time. 10 pounds can be knocked off in 5-7 weeks easily.

Right now your belly fat is stubborn. Most likely, you are insulin sensitive and your body has a hard time processing too many carbs. Your metabolism appears to be slowing because of it.

My suggestion is to take a more aggressive approach and try a Paleo lifestyle for 6-8 weeks. If you do this, don't "diet", but rather eat until you are satisfied. You will lose weight, and your will help to regulate your insulin levels which can only help in the long run.

If you do not want to try Paleo, then my second suggestion would be to lose the weight using a form of carb cycling. During this time you would keep your protein levels about 160-200 grams per day, keep fats at 20-30% of your overall daily calories, and cycle your carbs on a low, medium and high rotation.

Exercise generally won't help. Going cardio crazy isn't a wise thing when you are starting a more aggressive cut. I would get the weight loss to a consistent rate, then possibly add some mild cardio.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote