View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

This last post on wholebody conditioning is one of the most intriguing post I've read from him. It answers a lot of questions, and explains scientifically why the golden age programs had beginners doing only one set per movement.

The conventional wisdom at the time had beginners start with one set per movement, and add weight as normal. You would continue in this fashion for a few months, and then you could increase to two sets per movement. Finally you would move up to three sets per movement.

Without realizing what I was doing, I had actually been doing something similer over the last year with my gymnastic strength training program. That program had me working 5 days a week on basic bodyweight moves utilizing chins, dips, and rings. Slowly over the months I was increasing my workload as my ability to do so improved.

By the time I started the Olympic lifting program I was doing, I was ready for that 5 days a week program of weights. It was a beginners program as well, and kept work to a low level, and increased workload over a 12 week phase.

It was about this time I started my log here on my current BB type wholebody program. It seemed to some that I was going to overtrain, but it felt fine to me, to be doing that workload. In fact, I'm still slowly increasing my workload.

The wholebody work, now that I'm really into the program feels better than any split I've used before. I'll be very interested to see where it takes me in the next year.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote