View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkup View Post
ok I should drop my routine I'm doing now and start urs right away?u still consider me a beginner eventhough I've been doing this 4 five years?
I would consider you a beginner, but not in a negative way. Not in the realm of weight training knowledge. To me a beginner is someone that has yet to hit their stride, and is still scratching for muscle.

As far as you routine, here's what I'd like you to do:

A) Make sure at least 2/3rds of your sets each day are heavy compounds
B) Perform no more then 3 set per exercise
C) Train no more then one hour a day
D) Train no more then 4 days a week]
E) Drop all cardio, if possible
F) Stay in the 6-10 rep range when possible

and the biggie...

G) Push for more weight or reps on every set

I would recommend structuring your routine to fit your preferences, but it must include the following: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and DB or BB rows. Optional exercises are dips, pullups and romanian deadlifts.

Or you can use the routine I recommended...or tweak it with the parameters I provided. Write it in this thread, and we'll give it the once over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkup View Post
how do I figure out weights to start out with on this new routine with heavier weight?
It doesn't matter much. Just pick a weight and hammer out the reps. When using a 3 set scheme, when you can do at least 7 reps with a given weight on the last set, add 5 pounds to the bar on the next workout.

So, say you did benches and they looked like this:

135 x 10
135 x 8
135 x 6

The next time you did benches and they looked like:

135 x 10
135 x 9
135 x 7

Move up in weight.

You could also use 6 reps on the last set as a baseline for moving up. It's ok if your reps go below 6 on the low end, btw. 6-10 is just an average. So if you did:

135 x 10
135 x 7
135 x 4

and the next time did...

135 x 10
135 x 8
135 x 6

Move up in weight.

How you move up in weight isn't as important as pushing for one more rep on every set.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote