View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

You can add good mornings, but you need to make sure you learn the difference between a powerlifting good morning and a bodybuilding good morning, Also, good mornings should be performed accordingly to your deadlift stance - so if you deadlift conventional you should probably perform good mornings with a wide stance.

Other great deadlift assistance exercises are box squats, front squats, zerchers, heavy ab work, and RDLs. You also have deficit deadlifts, speed deads, and to a lesser degree dumbbell rows. You also have many other variations of these lifts, including band and chain work. Rack deads have little carryover for many, and for some they work wonders. If you do want to try them, it might be wise to deadlift on week one, and rack dead on week 2 - alternating.

In the context of a powerlifting workout, ala Wendlers or Westside, you might have 2 days a week to use assistance exercises but you have to be wise about their usage. Some Westside lifters don't perform direct heavy deadlifts from the floor. I have a friend that only pulls heavy on contest day. The rest of the year he focuses on box squats, good mornings, speed pulls, etc.

For straight muscle building or powerbuilding, if you are making progression currently I wouldn't add much assistance work. As long as progression is currently happening, the only real assistance exercises you need is time. Even the above powerlifting workouts are generally maximized by experienced lifters with known weaknesses.

It is hard to assess weaknesses until you have put in several years grinding it out on straight progression. During this time it's best to keep it simple. I would stick with deads, squats and RDLs. You could add front squats or good mornings, but only add good mornings if your back is very strong, you pull 315+, and you understand how to do a powerlifting good morning. You could also flip-flop between squats and box squats.

My 2 cents, mileage may vary.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote