View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Nice. And subbed as well.

This summer, inspired by Casey's post in the full-body thread in bb.com site as well as my own success with Randall Strossen's 20 rep squats program, I decided to stick to full-body.

Over the summer, for short periods (6-8 weeks), I tried two different implementations of the H/L/M protocol.

The first had me doing all heavy low rep work on Day 1. All high rep light work on day 3. Day 5 was medium rep and weights. I didnt like this, may be my implementation wasnt good and I was trying too much. But OH presses suffered after benching. Same with squats and DL, although not as much, since my back can take relatively more abuse than pushing muscles.

The second had me mixing it up. There are 3 main muscles from each type, push (chest, delt, tri), pull (back, bi, traps) and legs (quads, hams, calves). Each day, I would train heavy, low rep for one from each group, medium rep for one from each group and same with light. Felt awesome and strong, and this way, none of the big lifts suffered due to the other. Overall, I would go with the biggest muscle from each group as heavy on the first day (chest, DL, squat), and so on. So, over the week, overall stress was still H/L/M.

When I return to H/L/M protocol, I will stick with the second variant, not the first. The first one is a good option, no doubt, especially for those with average or above average genetics, but for relative hard-gainers I like the second one. Not sure whose protocol it is (Hepburn or Sloan or Starr), but this is something I tried, and thought I will throw it out in this thread.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote