View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
I believe he would have been a winner at an amateur level at just about any physical sport he chose. Can't forget the quote by Reeves before the 400 lb pinch DL.

Apparently, some dude in his gym commented on his BB style training and that he lacked true strength (those were the days of Grimek and Park, so it wasn't just about looking strong but being strong). Reeves response was classic. All he said was "I can be as strong as I choose to be", and proceeded to load the bar to 400 lbs, and pinch deadlifted it.
Good quote. With that strength, his deadlift must have been over 500. And his 3 lift total was surely over 1300.

This so called myth that bodybuilders aren't strong still lingers on many powerlifting-only forums. I'm really not sure why. I rarely ever see pro natural and non-natural lifters with numbers that couldn't compete as powerlifters.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote