View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Splits.... Most are set intensive, and if someone is training hard and using a lot of compounds they are allowing little time for CNS recovery, and can beat the snot out of your joints. Depending on relative weight used...and how hard they are working, intensity level, etc.

Many powerlifters use 4 day split variations (upper lower, Westside, Wendlers, etc.) and I would argue that these programs are just as taxing as fullbody workouts, if not more because of the relative weight being used.

Rich Knapp uses a split and it is far more CNS intense than any fullbody workout I've ever performed.

The first time I trained with him, using his intensity, my CNS was burned out for 2 weeks.

There are so many ways to train, so many training variables and degrees of intensity that it's hard to look at recovery through split and fullbody lenses.

I do agree with the spirit of Bam's post...a fullbody with squats and deads and lots of compounds is very intense. Probably one of the hardest workouts in nature, excluding powerlifting workouts. My point was simply that's it's not always as simple as one vs. the other.

I had a 5 day split that had a deadlift day, and a separate day for heavy RDLs. It was just as brutal as fullbody workouts. I know a lot of natural bodybuilders (competitors) who train beastly hard.

But keeping it focused on average lifters who aren't powerlifters or competitive bodybuilders, all things equal a 3 day fullbody workout is generally more taxing than a 4-5 day split.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote