Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
awesome thread... I have a question, the hardest part for me is getting the bar off the floor, when it gets to higher weights, once its up I can pull a lot heavier than what i can break off the floor... any tips ??

Carl.
Mentally commit. Instead of doing reps to build strength as a body builder would. Take around 80% of your 1rep max, and do singles with 60 second rest periods. Work as many as you can before burning out.

No touch and go nonsense will ever help a lifter breaking weight from the floor, just sheer will and commitment. Each week try adding 15-30lbs or add a 5% incremental increase until you feel the weight is too heavy, or until you can only do one single. Point is not to go to failure as much as to get used to always breaking the weight off the ground. I would say you should run this 3to5 weeks before needing to deload, or switch routines. Once again this is just to condition yourself to breaking the bar off the ground.

Speed work helps later on if you find you can break but have poor acceleration. Some useful assistance exercises to help this may be front squats, leg presses with similar leg stance as deadlift, pin partial squats, starting from the angle your deadlift starts working 3x3 with 30-50lbs more then what you regularly squat. Some guys swear by defict deadlifts, others by partial pulls. Getting all the muscles used in the deadlift especially the back usually works in getting the deadlift stronger.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote