Isaku900
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
ok first off i want to congradulate you on being one strong m'F'n sophmore! but if we go back to your other quote........

"TBDL is a great way to pick up 500lbs without being particularly strong"

..........did you not think you were pretty strong at the time you could squat mid 300's and dead 405. those lifts are strong if your 30 let alone when your 16. and you also didn't answer the question of how the movement can't be beneficial to a powerlifter. its still a compound movement that could build huge strength. a lot of strongmen use the movement and also do powerlifting. i think they probably find it beneficial. do you only do Bench, Deads, and Squats because thats the only movement done in comp? just because the grip and movement is slightly changed and you can apply better leverage does not mean the lift couldn't increase your potential in a deadlift.
no i wasn't strong with a 300s squat and a 405 deadlift. those are fairly commonplace.

a TBDL has very little applicable carryover to a deadlift, let alone a squat.

BTB: I don't think you're being argumentative.

I do think that while there are many differences of opinion that are worthwhile exploring, there are some that are not.

in your research, try to find a significant sample size of elite powerlifters that use a trap bar regularly in their training for squat or deadlift.

I think it can be a very good way to train shrugs, and isn't a bad developer for high school athletes especially since many high school coaches are unwilling (or unable) to teach a proper deadlift, but it just isn't a widely used powerlifting tool because it doesn't carryover very well, much like you will not see many powerlifters snatching and cleaning, because after a certain point there isn't a worthwhile amount of carryover to the powerlifts.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:

Last edited by Isaku900; 02-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote