Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

ultimatethor wrote:
Wow, I didn't realize I'd be opening up such a hornet's nest when I posted this. Thanks for everyone's input, but I have some follow-up questions:

If Elite is supposed to represent the top 1% of lifters, how does the geared Elite standard compare to the current records i.e. the PLUSA top 50? If that's the case, shouldn't there only be a handful of guys who are Elite, like Bolton, Vogelpohl, etc? Seems to me like there's more Elite lifters than just a handful. Thoughts?

Also, some have made the argument even in the geared ranks tht there should be a new standard "Pro" to reflect guys like Bolton, Vogelpohl, etc. Does that mean the geared Elite is more attainable?

Stirring the pot...
This is the guy who started a thread on what is the elite 242 classification.

The bodyguard responded:

Well, gear, raw, drugs, ARE the hornets in the nest that is powerlifting and its very difficult to have these discussions without getting "stung" because in powerlifting, for the reasons I've already stated, you have to "qualify" your statements and conclusions to allow for these variables.

When you look at Elite, you are still talking a small percentage of guys compared to the whole of the class. There are thousands of lifters competing and totaling in any given class. Those that hit any standard of "elite" are still a relative handful.

There are "pro" designations - again, depending on the federation. In some feds, "pro" simply means you're untested
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote