View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
IMO, the one reason why pull-downs turn out to be less effective than pull-ups (assuming one can do both) is because there is a greater leeway in screwing up the form.

Pull-down, if subbed for a pull-up should be a vertical pull; but most folks lean back and end up engaging the biceps and forearms too much in their quest to use heavier weights. IMO, it should also be emphasized that strict form should be maintained for pull-downs; better still, I prefer the pull-down behind the neck with moderate weights and reps.

I dont have a very good idea of the body's mechanics too much; what I wrote here ^^^ is based on how I feel the muscles, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong here
I agree with what you're saying here. Pulldowns are abused. They are one of my "mental block" movements. I've seen so many casual lifters who just do the bench-curl-abs-pulldown workout, that I've always tried to avoid them.

I know that personally, when I did perform the movement, it was darn near impossible to keep great form. Then again, maybe an explosive pulldown might be better.

I'll never know. I'm a T-bar row and Yates row guy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote