View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
It's not just one time. My opinion to them has been that proper intensity in your workout provides enough cardi benefit. If building muscle is your main concern, then don't do extra cardio. Save that energy for your body to grow.

For the most part it's always about like this. Some guy anywhere from 5'10" to 6'2" who weigh's about 165 is complaining that he can't gain weight. He's on a split program and doing cardio, so he's got one day of complete rest.

If I remember right I think I even told him he should think about having a dbl whopper meal instead of doing cardio.

I'll see if I can find some of the threads.
I've been involved in many of those threads. And have been "run off" or "put down" for the same view. Too many guys think it's all about "abs at any cost."

I was reading a thread this morning on a site I mod where the lifter bulked and gained "just as much fat as muscle" and nearly had a heart attack. He wanted a way to gain muscle without gaining fat.

Good luck with that.

Best to add both, and then cut, then to spend 10 years eating the minimum and hoping to pack on muscle.

Of course, the game does change a bit when the lifter is post 30. Bulking becomes more difficult. But it's still the same game.

I really have no interest in weighing 160 and being ripped. I'm speaking from experience. I was 168 with abs in the military. And I didn't look like a bodybuilder.

I have no beef with guys trying to add a little muscle and get ripped. But unless they're a genetic freak, they need to eat cheeseburgers instead of doing cardio.

I had a buddy in college who was skinny as a rail. He wanted to add muscle. I told him to stop running, and to eat like a pig. He gained 15 pounds in 2 months, and looked damn good.

Those that are naturally fat or overweight might need to lose weight before trying to add muscle. Then they might need a more cyclical approach to adding muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote