View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
That sounds about right.... So how would you descibe a beginner and/or advanced with the same kind of terminology ??

Would be good to have a some what more definitive answer to the 'how do i know if im beginner or intermidiate' question. Although normally if someone asks that they they are pretty much guaranteed to be a beginner...

Carl
A beginner has no perspective. They have never reached the end of weekly linear progression, or the adding of weekly weight on major compound lifts (squats, bench, deadlift, OHP, other staples). Note: This is the exhausting of adding weekly weight, and not weight in general...they can't add 5 pounds each week. It becomes impossible.)

They do not understand this journey because they have never completed it. They don't know how to properly frame new programs and approaches properly because they lack this perspective.

They want to flip-flop programs or make changes because they have never truly tasted the hard work required to be successful. They do not understand the magic is in progressive resistance and persistence. Every time someone posts a new approach, they run like mad hoping to find the Holy Grail.

Sure, they make have reached the end of the line on decline flyes. This is not the same thing as exhausting progression on squats.

So, it is my opinion that a beginner is a beginner until they have exhausted weekly adding of weight (linear progression) at some point in their life for several major, basic compound lifts. These, to me, include squats, bench press, a row or deadlift, and an overhead press movement. Some bodybuilders don't deadlift, and I respect that.

There may exist some mutants who never squat, and have exhausted front squats or leg presses...so I am not trying to make some exclusionary, elitist rule or form a club. I hope everyone understands this. There is a degree of discernment in the mix here...

But if someone has never exhausted the weekly adding of weight for a major press, overhead press, squat-style compound lift and back row/deadlift, they are a beginner in my book.

I don't care what they move on other lifts, or even if they have exhausted linear progression on 35 other lifts over the past 30 years. If they haven't exhausted LP in these areas, they are still a beginner.

An advanced lifter. An advanced lifter knows they are an advanced lifter. They have been through LP, and rep progression for years. They eat right, train hard and stay persistent. They have taken progression to the point where they have hit real and tangible plateaus. These plateaus have been for months, and not just a 1-3 week stall.

These plateuas don't necessarily mean they haven't added any reps during this time, but rather they know confidently that they are unable to add a rep every workout on major lifts, because they have tried for months on end.

They must get creative and try new things to make any progress. They must have the ability to change programs to fit their specific needs.

An advanced lifter need not know everything, but they must know how to tailor anything to their own needs so that they avoid CNS trauma, injury, etc. This tailoring isn't always immediate...but it will happen over time as a lifter gains a feel for a program/system.

In a bodybuilding context, the advanced lifter label gets more complex. It is easy to approach your max natural potential (within 10 pounds) and still be an intermediate.

One final word...These are only my opinions, and I reserve the right to evolve them.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-10-2011 at 12:31 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote