Thread: Pinwheel Curls
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Pinwheel Curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLifting View Post
Seems as though were on the same page ab.
I was also shocked to read these very very experienced and knowledgeable fellows on this site approve of your vid. Id like to know if their approval was in regard to muscle building. And if the approval was for strength, id like to know what exercise these 'curls' will assist or improve.
Quite a few lifters on this site, including powerlifters with substantial 3-lift totals, do variations of pinwheel curls. Not everything has to be done for a reason, or done so it fits nicely into a box. Some lifts are done for pleasure. With that said, I think they are great for strength and muscle building.

I personally do more explosive curl movements because:

A) Personal experience tells me that too much direct tension and volume on the biceps is a recipe for tendinitis.

B) I have reached my natural arm potential and have no reason to be obsessed about gaining more size, so the move allows me to stimulate my biceps, maintain size, without taking the connective tissue and dredging up old tendinitis.

C) I believe in the power of heavy weight and love movements that allow maximal weight. A cheating style pinwheel is worth more to me than a concentration curl.

D) I am not obsessed with biceps, but do enjoy some fun bicep work. This lift is fun for me.

Abaddon has monster arms, so it was fairly safe for me to advocate pinwheels for him. In addition, unless I misunderstand his goals, Abaddon is not a pure powerlifter.

Also, explosive lifts can be fun. I don't do everything with a reason. I enjoy lifting, like the movement, and am not obsessed about bodyparts, tension, and what works what. I trust in the process, and enjoy the ride. Hard work and progression on compound lifts is a recipe for success.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-08-2011 at 09:29 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links