View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Very good point.

The modern era's gold standard shoulder workout is often:

--Overhead press variation, often in a Smith or Hammer Strength.
--Side Laterals.
--Rear Laterals.

/Done.

I have advocated more weekly compound lift work for shoulders than this, but it wasn't received very well. I was told that I was advocating too much delt work.

My rebuttal, of course, was that it is currently acceptable to do 12+ weekly compound sets for chest, but only 3-4 weekly compound sets for shoulders?

This, my friends, is epic fail and about as misguided as working abs 7 days per week, and overkilling the biceps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I think the shoulders can take more compound work than poeple think. Atm im doing OH Press 3x per week (so 9 compound sets), the side delts are aching as I have the DB's right back by my ears and my shoulders are feeling/seeming fuller than ever before.

Carl.
One of the "theories" that tends to be bandied about on the internet, about shoulder training, is that they are a relatively small muscle group...might be why people have this image concerning their training.

I was going to start another thread about this.