Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The industry is so clouded by what is needed for steroid training that they don't have a clue that a natural who has made good gains isn't going to re-ignite much of anything. (Muscle gains, not talking strength)
I agree that the industry is clouded by steroid issues. But I think it's also clouded by something else: Newbie Gains. Because newbie gains come from any routine at all, and because most people never go beyond newbie gains, a lot of dodgy crap is taken to be good.

As I've said before, the vast majority of people in gyms are not engaged in progressive resistance training. They have no set workout routine, or change it every 2-8 weeks, or if they have a few favourite exercises they don't up the weights, reps and sets for weeks or months.

Now, obviously what makes our bodies change is increasing the specific stress on them - progressing the resistance on a particular exercise. As a complete newbie, doing anything at all is more than you were doing, so you get results on all sorts of wacky routines. Of course, they'll stop giving you results after 6-12 weeks and something better is needed - but the vast majority of gym-goers will have changed their routine or stopped progressing the resistance after 2-4 weeks anyway.

As the guy giving them the routines, I have even physically written in the progressions for people so they could just tick them off. Yet I still find them doing the same thing again and again. The other night there was a guy I'd given a routine to, he was squatting shallow. I got him squatting deep. Three months ago I'd started him on 40kg squats, and given him a progression - each of 36 workouts written out with weights, sets and reps - that should have seen him squatting 100kg by now. Even with stalls and a stack of missed sessions at least 75kg.

He was squatting 50kg. I could see this was much too light for him. He told me he was scared of the heavier weights. So we just put 5kg on and had him do 1-3 reps. All the way up to 75kg, which he did easily. He could have done singles with 85-90kg, but I stopped him there because you can only push a nervous guy so far before he cracks. I had him then do 60kg 3x5, which he did smoothly and easily. But he'd been screwing around with 40-50kg for three months.

And this is the ballsy guy who is at least actually squatting.

Anyway, the point is that people get the newbie gains, and usually stop there. They don't progress beyond that. And since literally any routine at all will give the newbie gains, people get the impression that there are thousands and thousands of routines that work.

Anyone with more than 6 months' experience of progressive resistance training is going to just toss Muscle & Fiction aside. But anyone who's only ever experienced newbie gains won't know, and will lap it up.

You're speaking from the perspective of natural and steroid-enhanced bodybuilders who've done progressive resistance training for some years. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who sees that most people in gyms are not engaged in progressive resistance training at all.

Quote:
Try every 2 months. I get them because of my daughter's school subscriptions and it's the same type of cover headlines month in and month out. "Get huge fast"...
I was referring less to the repeat of general themes, and more the repeat of entire articles word-for-word. That happens every 18-30 months, from what I recall back in the 1990s.