Old 01-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
As I mentioned earlier, this is a bodybuilding method that attempts to turn a compound lift into an isolation lift.

I don't like tweaking lifts in this manner. Changing a lift to better isolate, especially on bench, is a recipe for a shoulder injury. That is, if progression is in the mix...which it should be, if muscle gains are the goal.

I'm not trying to sound argumentative. I just believe there is one best way to do a lift, and because progression on some level is needed to gain, changing a lift to better isolate while adding weight is not something I will ever do.

In addition, I don't think it's in anyway necessary for naturals. I believe progression to be the Holy Grail. Use proper form, beat what you did the last time in the gym, and gain.
I agree with you on most of your points, and I know you aren't trying to scrap. I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. A wide grip guillotine bench press to the clavicle, elbows flared the whole bit, which was advocated by Vince Gironda and Reg Park for upper chest development works great, but it's bad for your shoulders. Now if we take that lift and use a reverse grip instead, the elbows are tucked and it's a much safer lift as far as shoulder health is concerned.

Last edited by Trevor Ross; 01-29-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote