Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
Trevor Ross
Max Brawn
Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41 Points: 4,170, Level: 41
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
Trevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributorTrevor Ross is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Unfortunately many try to turn compound lifts into isolation lifts in an attempt to hammer only one muscle group, and add all sorts of techniques (via the use of intense focus on contractions, whatever) to do so. This, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of doing them...

This is one of the major issues I have with modern bodybuilding splits...every exercise gets categorized by bodypart, which isn't really the way things work in the gym. And the next step once that exercise has been classified is to focus on turning it into more of an isolation lift.

I do not care for this approach...But that is a topic for another thread.
But you can take compound exercises and tweak them so you can put "emphasis" on the muscle you want to develop because you have to feel the muscle in question working for development, at least that what I believe. Now I say emphasis not isolate because there are no true isolation exercises (except for maybe the preacher curl) there is always something else at work to make that exercise happen.
Trevor Ross is offline   Reply With Quote