View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Ross View Post
but there are methods to put emphasis on the muscles you intend on working.
As I mentioned earlier, this is a bodybuilding method that attempts to turn a compound lift into an isolation lift.

I don't like tweaking lifts in this manner. Changing a lift to better isolate, especially on bench, is a recipe for a shoulder injury. That is, if progression is in the mix...which it should be, if muscle gains are the goal.

I'm not trying to sound argumentative. I just believe there is one best way to do a lift, and because progression on some level is needed to gain, changing a lift to better isolate while adding weight is not something I will ever do.

In addition, I don't think it's in anyway necessary for naturals. I believe progression to be the Holy Grail. Use proper form, beat what you did the last time in the gym, and gain.

I know many, many bodybuilders focus on mind-muscle and peak contraction. While they might have some merit, I personally believe they are misguided philosophies because this method is better suited for pure isolation lifts. When I look at risk vs. reward, they will never be worth it to me. It's hard enough for me to squat and bench heavy with good form.

Sure, I could lighten the weight, add TUT, focus on contraction, etc. That's all good and well, but I will still need to add weight at some point to gain. So here I will be working my way up the heavy weight rung with my mind focused on other things rather than proper lifting form...

Edit: I just want to clarify that I do believe it is possible, and safe to incorporate some degree of extra intense contraction during a lift. It depends on the lift, and there are certain leverage points that are easier to do so. I am not claiming that all attempts to "contract with intensity" are dangerous.

My main gripe is that I do believe that this can be (and is) taken way overboard, creating more dangerous lifts. I've seen far too many bodybuilders with arms flared, slowly lowering the weight to the upper chest, all in the name of "feel". It hurts my shoulders just watching these videos...

Also, I just don't believe it's necessary or beneficial other than making someone feel mentally that they have done more.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote