View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I like dumbbell rows better than barbell rows. I can handle much more weight, they are better on the lower back, and I can focus slightly better on raw explosion and contraction. I can knock out about 275 for 5 strict reps on Pendlay rows, but on dumbbell rows I think I could do 240-275x5 if I had that much weight. Right now I only can go to 215 on dumbbell rows.

I still use barbell rows though. The one issue I have with dumbbell rows is that 3 sets are basically 6 sets, so they take longer.

Dumbbell bench can be harder on the shoulders just because of the instability. No matter how many times I perform the lift, I still never feel perfectly in control of the dumbbells.

I use both barbell and dumbbell bench press, but I generally prefer close grip bench press over dumbbell bench press.

In any case, they are all compound lifts, which is uber. Lat pull downs are fail for me, as are flyes. I dislike both.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote