View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I may have exaggerated the 2 weeks part

I think you bring up an important point...DOMs. Far too many beginners beat the snot out of their bodies to the point where they can't move the next day. This is neither needed or necessary.

A rank beginner needs to work on form, so more repetition is beneficial for several. They also need to work on stabilizer muscle strength, so I can see more reps with a lighter weight being helpful as they build stabilizer momentum. Heavy, taxing weight out the gate can also create debilitating DOMs, which can also be a mental deterrent.

It makes sense to me to start slow with higher than normal reps, but once form is ok, confidence is there, and a lifter has improved stabilizers to a minor degree, it's time to start adding some reps and weight. This doesn't have to be ultra rapid. Slow and steady leads to big progress.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote