View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'm sure it can work as long as progression of weight is involved.

A workout that uses light weight and doesn't involve progression of intensity on some level will not yield any noticeable results.

This article took a viable approach...using a higher rep scheme (maybe 12-20)...and skewed it in a completely ineffective manner.

Nearly anything will trigger beginner gains. For rank beginners, as in this study, a volume of reps is probably more effective. It's a great stimulus, and most likely a greater overall training volume.

24 reps x 20 pounds = 480 pounds of volume

5 reps x 50 pounds = 250 pounds of volume

An untrained beginner will most likely get beat up from a greater volume, but this is a near sighted approach. After this wears off, in about 2 weeks, progression takes over and this house of cards crumbles.

Light weight will serve you well for several weeks. And then it all comes back to progression, regardless of your rep range.

This is the EXACT scenario I am having my Wife begin her new training program on. Light weight, higher reps, bumping up volume over a few weeks until this method has run it's course.

I'm doing this with her for a few reasons. She is today, and will continue to be just a little sore the day after, but nothing that will scare her off from continuing. She is developing much needed conditioning for the heavier work that is coming, that she can't see yet.

I have her doing a version of the Reeves classic BTW. I had her at 2x8-10 reps yesterday for a few key moves, plus some ab work. She enjoyed it, and just feels the work today.

I have told her that progression will come, and have been beating the phrase,

"Progression is KING!" into her head.

I really want her to keep at this program. She could do amazing things if she could mentall commit to the work, and make it a part of her daily routine.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote