Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: <1 year
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Kre-Alkalyn EFX
mstott25 is off to a bad start
Default Casey Butt's Beginner Routine

This is abbreviated from the Weight Trainer website. Casey uses charts that were not so easy to copy and paste but I tried to give you the gist of his workout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Butt Beginner Routine
Program #1 - Your First 2 Weeks Of Weight Training

This is what I want you to do. Each time you go to the gym do the following routine (3x a week, these are supposed to be easy sets):

The Basic Routine
Squats 2 x 10
Bench Presses 2 x 10
Bent-Over Rows 2 x 10
Overhead Barbell Presses 2 x 10
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 2 x 10
Barbell Curls 2 x 10
Donkey Calf Raises 2 x 10
Reverse Crunches 2 x 10

Program #2 - The Next 2 Weeks Of Weight Training

3 days per week Set #1 Set #2
Squats easy add weight
Bench Presses easy add weight
Bent-Over Rows easy add weight
Overhead Presses easy add weight
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts easy add weight
Barbell Curls easy add weight
Donkey Calf Raises easy add weight
Reverse Crunches easy moderately hard

Program #3 - The Next 2 Weeks Of Weight Training 3 days per week

Set #1 Set #2 Set #3
Squats easy add weight add more weight
Bench Presses easy add weight add more weight
Bent-Over Rows easy add weight add more weight
Overhead Presses easy add weight add more weight
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts easy add weight add more weight
Barbell Curls easy add weight add more weight
Donkey Calf Raises easy add weight add more weight
Reverse Crunches easy hard no third set

Program #4 - The Next 2 Weeks Of Weight Training

Remember, only use a difficult weight on your third sets on the second training day of each week. Your routine now looks like this:

The Basic Routine
Squats 3 x 10
Bench Presses 3 x 8
Bent-Over Rows 3 x 8
Overhead Barbell Presses 3 x 8
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 3 x 10
Barbell Curls 3 x 8
Donkey Calf Raises 3 x 10
Reverse Crunches 1 x 10, 1 x ~
And as an example of your "heavy" day, let's say you train on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday would be your "heavy" day

Program #5 - The Next 2 Weeks Of Weight Training

I want you to now perform two "heavy" days per week. So, instead of performing one "heavy" and two "light" days per week, like you did for the previous two weeks, now you're going to do the opposite - perform two "heavy" days and one "light". The "light" day goes in between the two "heavy" days. So, if you work out on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule, Monday and Friday would be your "heavy" days and Wednesday your "light" day.

Program #6

The 10 week mark - some more changes are in order. We're going to take our three weekly training days and bump them into two. What I mean by this is that now we're going to do 4 sets per exercise on training Days 1 and 3 and do something a little different on Day 2. Now, instead of doing two progressively heavier warm-up sets and then one "heavy" set on our "heavy" days (Days 1 & 3), we're going to do two progressively heavier warm-up sets and then two "heavy" sets (both with the same weight). Both of these days are "heavy" days - don't hold back, go for it on both days. As you've been doing for the past several weeks, perform 8 reps per set of Bench Presses, Bent-Over Rows, Overhead Barbell Presses and Barbell Curls, and 10 reps per set of everything else.
Basically you start out pretty easy, gradually including harder sets as the weeks progress and then by the time you get to program 6 you keep up the linear progression as long as you can.

I like the premise of this workout but I was wondering if I could add pullups/dips/shrugs and substitute deadlifts for the stiff legged deadlifts. I was also curious if I could/should add some cardio in the off days.

The reason I like dips/pullups/shrugs is because I'm pretty weak in these areas and my body responds well to them, I've noticed a lot of strength improvement in them and would like to keep that up.

Last edited by mstott25; 01-09-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: cleaned it up...
mstott25 is offline   Reply With Quote