View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstott25 View Post
I'm really wanting to find a program I can follow this year that will let me reach my goals and stay around the 15% bodyfat range. I don't want to go above that - is this possible? I think I'm about 20% bodyfat right now.
I think so. Most natural bodybuilders don't go above that. You will need to keep your diet as tight as a drum but it can be done.

Quote:

So here's my MAIN questions:

1). I really love the following exercises and would like to incorporate all of them into my routine: Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Press, Pullups, Dips, Shrugs...

Can I come up with a program myself using these exercises that will be enough to help me reach my goals?
Absolutely! Those are really the cornerstone lifts and many great programs can be made using them. many of us are on fullbody workouts right now that use them as a cornerstone, including myself.

Quote:
2). I enjoy running/sprinting. This week I tried to sprint workouts 2x a week in between workout days and I noticed a heck of a time recovering from everything. Not sure if it was the change of my workout or the sprints...would sprints be a good addition to a strength program to help keep bodyfat manageable and build some strength/size?
Sprints in a HIIT/interval fashion would be great for overall health, and can definitely be run while adding muscle and strength. Diet is the real key to body composition, so you just need to monitor your eating and make adjustments around what the scale and mirror say.

Quote:
3). Should I shutup, quit analyzing everything and just follow Casey Butt's program (or any other program)?
Not at all! We want you to succeed.

Post up Casey's beginner workout in this thread and we'll see if any tweaks need to be made to accommodate your goals and the lifts you want to use. (It's been several months since I looked at Casey's beginner routine so I forgot it's structure).

With your lifting background you might be able to join us in the fullbody challenge and use a little more advanced routine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote