Thread: Return to gold
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
Im sure we all know what the golden era refers to in bodybuilding parlance, so heres my question, how do you use the old school golden era training ideas and routines to augment your routine
I trained for over 20 years ignorant of anything other then Joe Weiderism. I never used these principles, though. Then came the Internet.

Despite my handicap, I developed my own approach to training. Oddly enough, it revolved around:

--Compound movements
--Few (mostly zero) isolation movements
--Workouts less then one hour
--Simple progression of weight
--No fancy training techniques like supersets, etc.
--No need for muscle confusion

I remark "oddly", because this approach is very close to the approach presented by Casey Butt, and used by many golden era lifters.

While I have never used a full body approach, not because I was against it, but because I wasn't aware that it was an option, I still managed to thrive on the above principles.

The only tool I have added to my toolbelt over the years is the inclusion of rest-pause and defined rest periods into my training. This isn't anything revolutionary, as Doug Hepburn monitored his time between sets in some of his programs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote