Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
If you go into exercise with fuel; carbs and protein being most effective, it reduces the acute catabolic effects of the cardio and speeds recovery. So essentially it lessens how catabolic cardio is.

Most people think "wait this is bad, I don't want cardio to be working off of what I've eaten, I want it to work off of my bodyfat!"
Well, that's not correct. If you are counting your macros, and eating a set number of calories, who cares if you eat a big meal before doing cardio. A 400kcal session burns 400kcals no matter what, even if you ate 500kcals right beforehand...If you didn't burn the fat exactly during cardio, and instead burned off the food you ate, who cares? You will burn it later when you have 500 calories less in your daily allotment.
In fact, doing cardio without fuel will make it harder to get your Hear rate up and to get solid muscle action to burn those 400kcals, and you will have to put out greater energy to do so, so more effort=more catabolism, and less fuel=more catabolism. That's why IN GENERAL I'm not a fan or fasted cardio. Although it has its time and place in specific instances.
Agreed 100%. I roll my eyes when someone absolutely insists that you HAVE to do cardio on an empty stomach, so they're burning fat instead of the food they just ate. Hogwash. A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit, and that's what you're going to get when you do the cardio. Guaranteed if you have no fuel (e.g. if you don't eat breakfast before working out), you're going hit a wall faster than Dale Earnhardt.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote