Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
HOLD YOU BREATH WHEN SQUATTING

OK so normally you wouldnt hold your breath, but with the squat you want to create a stable and fixed core and your core is much more stable when you hold your breath. If you are inhaling or exhaling at the bottom of a squat then you could compromise your core stability.If you start inhaling or exhaling at the bottome of a squat, then the stress that was being supported by the intra-abdominal pressure of your contracted core muscles will be transferred to the lower back, not good

If you hold your breath just before you get to the bottom, then during the direction change and as you start to come back up, you will have far greater core stability than if you breathe during that phase. This gives greater power out of the bottom. You dont want to hold it indefinitely obviously lol but if you tak a big gulp just before you go down then you will have enough oxygen for the desent and the bounce back up. You can start breathing out again as soon as you get out of the hole (so past parallel) on the way back up. Then in again just before you start the descent. So you are literally only holding your breath for a few seconds

note: breathing out on way back up facilitates screaming in pain too

hope this helps

Carl.
I agree with this!! I hold my breathe, go down and up (often a grunt on the way up), then breathe out. I hurt my back deadlifting a long time ago, and holding my breathe squatting really helped strengthen and protect my back

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote