Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Seppe is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Seppe.

The first thing you need to focus on is exercise selection. Routines aren't as important as using the proper lifts. You want to focus on mostly basic, compound lifts for a long time. Only add lifts for a reason. Evolve your training based on what you learn, and your individual needs. And only when you are confident you know how to add muscle.

Once you are in a groove building muscle, and your eating plan is spot on, then you can worry about tinkering with your exercises and workouts.

Second, understand that routines aren't magic, but progression of weight is. Progression is this...using good form, push yourself on every set. When you can reach the "rep goal" for that set, add weight the next time in the gym. This is how a beginner to intermediate will maximize gains. Start with a simple workout. Complexity is overrated, but hard work yields gains.

Third, diet is a huge part of the equation. Eat about 30 to 35 grams of protein very 2.5 to 3 hours. You also want to eat enough calories so that you are gaining about 1-2 pounds per month your first year of training. If you are young you may need to start eating at 3000 to 3500 calories per day. If you are 35+ you may need to be at 2500 to 3000 to gain muscle.

Pick a number and watch the scale. If you're not gaining weight, add 300 more daily calories. Continue this pattern until you are adding your goal weight each month.

Outside of protein, make sure you eat some healthy complex carb sources such as oatmeal, rice, and potatoes. You also want veggies and fruit of course.

Workouts

Stick with a 3 or 4 day training approach. A 3 day can be a fullbody workout, or a split like:

Day 1 - Chest, shoulders and triceps
Day 2 - OFF
Day 3 - Legs
Day 4 - OFF
Day 5 - Back, biceps and Abs
Day 6 - OFF
Day 7 - Repeat or OFF

A 4 day split:

Day 1 - Chest and biceps
Day 2 - Legs
Day 3 - OFF
Day 4 - Shoulders and triceps
Day 5 - Back, traps and Abs
Day 6 - OFF
Day 7 - Repeat or OFF

Remember Fancy, complex workouts might be needed by advanced lifters, but simplicity and hard work yield results.

Exercises

Stick with exercises like:

Squats, Romanian deadlifts, calf raises, bench press, dumbbell bench press, dips, overhead dumbbell or barbell press, upright rows, barbell and dumbbbell rows, deadlifts, pullups, barbell and dumbbell curls, barbell shrugs, closegrip bench press.
I have been reading your articles a few times (or more)
And i like them.
I understand that weight progression is the key including diet and rest.
But i have seen that you recommended in your articles to do a kind of fullbody training,am i right?
Seppe is offline   Reply With Quote