View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

What is your lifting resume?
Always being the skinny kid growing up, i tried lifting weights with the concrete and plastic sets. And use of the schools weight room. I didnt really ever have anyone show me how to properly do any lifts, and the fact I seen very little progress, i gave up quickly. Not having a father around growing up made it tough too, so I enlisted in the army national guard as a jr. in high school. The summer I spent in basic training was the first time I seen any real progession in weight gains. I packed on 12 pounds and lost a pant size doing the Uncle Sam program. I was impressed but was discharged on a medical hardship within a year. It would be nearly 12 years before I took lifting serious again, once I became a career firefighter, I knew I had to start seriously looking at getting stronger. I tried a few programs and saw very little results with them and again feeling frustrated almost gave up on strength training feeling I was doomed to always be the skinny kid. Then a few guys decided to put together a Firefighter Combat Challenge team, and I came across the stronglifts 5x5 programs and I was hooked. Been seriously lifting regularly for 2 years now. Taking some breaks here and there.

In what areas do you feel that you are strongest, in terms of experience to add to the conversation? I'd have to say I still don't feel that great about passing along information, I can only share what has worked for me. My primary focus has been athletic performance. Strength and Conditioning. I've been curious about powerlifting not confident offering help.

In what areas do you generally not speak on? Bodybuilding, Diet and nutrition but i'm getting better on that one.

How did you come to your particular methodology, or is it still being defined?
I would say, it's definately still a work in progress, but have found that the simpler things are, the more apt I am to follow them and understand them.

What do you see as the biggest problem with barbell sports today? With so many "experts" out there it's hard to know who to trust. I also personally believe the way some supplements are marketed, tends to give folks a false sense that they can take the latest greatest supplement and make gains without hard work.

What are some of the biggest mistakes you're made along the way?
See above, I thought I could take some of the stuff out there I bought at the store and it would make me bigger. Not staying consistent, and not eating properly( still working on this one guys)

When it comes to advice, how do you pick and choose who you listen too?
I tend to listen to "real" people. Folks who have had similar struggles like me, and are now successful. I also look for guys who keep things simple and tell it like it is. Don't give me a bunch of words and terms that make no sense to me. Lay it down in a way a raw beginner or an advanced lifter will both understand. I also lean towards the folks who do more athletic strength and conditioning as opposed to bodybuilders, just because thats where my goals are at.