View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

My Resume

I started lifting at the age of 15 with a dept. store plastic concrete weight set, and a bench. I was a very skinny kid with no real strength, and I did not like that.

Some show was on talking about movies that had caused a stir that year, and Pumping Iron was one of those shows. The clip they showed was of Arnold doing concentration curls, and flexing his arms. I WANTED TO LOOK LIKE THAT! That was it, I would do that thing, and be a bodybuilder.

I turned 16 and I already had job. I was making 3.50hr at 16yrs of age. This was in 1978, and that was good money. I bought Arnolds, Education of a Bodybuilder, and the book Pumping Iron. The bookstore was having a book signing with Arnold about three weeks later. I was not going to miss the chance to meet him. Alas, he left and hour early due to low turnout. I was sad.

I lived in those books, and worked hard, but not smart. I progressed, but would have done better with a better plan of attack.

High School my Senior year, and that plan would be implemented. i had weightlifting class, that focused on basics, and progression. I made solid gains that year, and left high school weighing 135lbs, benching 220, squatting 285, deadlifting 385, clean and press 185, and a few other lifts that I forget.

I lifted on and off for the next 8 years, but made no real progress. Insert having a life right here, and other obligations. Thats a different story

At 28 I joined the Army, and got focused again. I started lifting seriously again, and worked my way back. I was having fun again, but still didn't know how much I didn't know. Then another layoff happened, 8 years worth.

That brings me almost all the way up to where I found MAB. I had started studying lifting, and putting things together. I found hte area's I wanted to focus on in my own lifting, and what really interested me. It had nothing to do with modern bodybuilding. The sport I had loved at 15 was gone. I went in search of what I wanted, and due to the internet I was able to find enough to scrape together a plan of attack of where I wanted my comfort zone to be.

In what areas do you feel that you are strongest, in terms of experience to add to the conversation?

Classic Bodybuilding, Fullbody methodology, mistakes I've made.

In what areas do you generally not speak on?

Diet, Drugs, Supplements, Power lifting specific methodology

How did you come to your particular methodology, or is it still being defined?

I find fullbody work challenging, and fun. I prefer the classic physique to the modern distortion. I'm constantly trying to learn more. There is still a huge amount of information about classic style work, that I have not even touched.

What do you see as the biggest problem with barbell sports today?

Drugs, supplements, and unreal expectations. There is a lot of BS being pushed on the public that is a real black eye to the sport.

What are some of the biggest mistakes you're made along the way?

Not having a well thought out plan to work.

When it comes to advice, how do you pick and choose who you listen too?

Basically it comes down to this. I like to hear from people who keep it simple. It just does not need to be complicated.

Last edited by glwanabe; 12-17-2010 at 01:55 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote