Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Muscle and Brawn Shop > 10/20/Life by Brian Carroll
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

10/20/Life by Brian Carroll

Build Strength Beyond Your Wildest Dreams. 10/20/Life: Get Strong NOW

Old 04-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
BrianCarroll
Brawn
Points: 270, Level: 5 Points: 270, Level: 5 Points: 270, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
BrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Brian,
Thanks for answering questions. I have one on the assistance work for the bench workout for the offseason cycle. The Combo chart has the "A" bench assistance work in the 15-10 rep range. The Standards "A" bench assistance is in the 6-4 rep range. Can you explain the thoughts behind that?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike - its just another way to go about offseason. so 10-15 reps, 10 being lower end, 15 being on the higher end.

You could always use the rep scheme on the standard version too. This NOT a template, but a tool box for you.

As always, the higher reps will be geared toward lighter weight, and vice-versa!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
BrianCarroll
Brawn

BrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Just picked up the book. When I saw that you consulted Dr. McGill, I had to check it out. I had back surgery back in 1996 and have been cautious, sometimes too cautious with the back since then. As I am now prepping for my first powerlifting meet, as a geezer, Your insights will be valuable.
Thanks for the support.

Dr. Stu and I are doing a book together on back health later this year. It will not disappoint.

Let me know if you need anything.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
BrianCarroll
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulldog View Post
I'm excited to find out about this book. I had no idea. Based on the reviews and Mr. Carroll's reputation I'm sure it'll be on my shelf within the next few days.

Thank you, sir.

It will not disappoint!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Just ordered mine, and the "Cutting Weight" was a great bonus.

In my short power lifing career, cutting before a meet is the number one item on my checklist I am totally in the dark about!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
dzarello
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,751, Level: 54 Points: 6,751, Level: 54 Points: 6,751, Level: 54
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCarroll View Post
Thanks for the support.

Dr. Stu and I are doing a book together on back health later this year. It will not disappoint.

Let me know if you need anything.
This ^^ I cannot wait for. Going to be a great book filled with A LOT of great info. I have been following your progress with Dr. McGill on Elite. Amazing information. I have started to incorporate a few of his teachings into my own training. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Looking forward to the new book.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Bdub
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21 Points: 1,416, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1-2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
Bdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributorBdub is a consistent contributor

I just purchased the 10/20/Life ebook this morning can't wait to get started on it based on all the great things I have heard thus far

Best Meet Results
Squat: 385
Bench: 265
Deadlift: 475
Bdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #17
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCarroll View Post
Mike - its just another way to go about offseason. so 10-15 reps, 10 being lower end, 15 being on the higher end.

You could always use the rep scheme on the standard version too. This NOT a template, but a tool box for you.

As always, the higher reps will be geared toward lighter weight, and vice-versa!
Thanks Brian. Great work on the book. I have read most of the ebooks and this is the first one that is a one stop shopping resource for someone who wants to compete or get stronger. I have dealt with lowerback issues for the last two years so the Mcgill exercises and the warmup are worth the price alone. Changed what I thought I should be doing to warmup.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Thanks Brian. Great work on the book. I have read most of the ebooks and this is the first one that is a one stop shopping resource for someone who wants to compete or get stronger. I have dealt with lowerback issues for the last two years so the Mcgill exercises and the warmup are worth the price alone. Changed what I thought I should be doing to warmup.
Exactly. It put the foam rolling argument to rest.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #19
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Opened the book yesterday, finished this morning. Great Read. While not exactly as per the book's directions, I was glad to see that I had fallen fairly close, despite my ignorance, in my overall timing of cycles and deloads. The McGill big 3 was a great take away, the Bird Dogs are tougher than they look, if you work at doing them right. My greatest take away, however, was the assistance paradigm the book provides. Most of us tend to want to tinker and play with assistance work, often doing too much work that really isn't assisting. Brian's strategy will really help me focus on the areas that need assistance, not just get in extra work.

Thanks BC

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
BrianCarroll
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarello View Post
This ^^ I cannot wait for. Going to be a great book filled with A LOT of great info. I have been following your progress with Dr. McGill on Elite. Amazing information. I have started to incorporate a few of his teachings into my own training. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Looking forward to the new book.
Thanks, I'd be curious to know how you think it compares to 531, aside form the information aspect -- that can't be compared as 531 is not a guide, but more of a template.

Thanks for the kind words