4 Day Intermediate Workout – Shoulder Focus
This is a 4 day per week routine that was developed over a period of some months, with the help of Carl1174 and a few other friends. The premise was to construct a well rounded beginner-intermediate level regimen without using a dedicated shoulders-only workout, but rather incorporating a minimal amount of shoulder training into each routine.
They are not necessarily performed in the below order, the only restriction being that Chest major, Shoulders minor and Arms (bi/tri jump-set) and Shoulders are spaced at least 1 day apart, and preferably 2
More info can be found in my log, but a few things to mention:
- I train at home solo. This routine has no exercises which require assistance. I have no squat rack , no leg machines (yet) and no fancy equipment.
- Several of the exercises performed involve the use of a Savickas Press, and a few are signature moves. For more info on these exercises, please refer to my log post #28 here: Abaddon’s Log.
- All routines are structured with heavy compounds performed first, isolations last, while minimizing time wasted messing around with plates and equip between exercises.
Chest major, Shoulders minor
- Barbell Bench Press Flat – 4 sets, 10-12 reps per set
- Barbell Bench Press Incline – 3 sets, 10-12 reps per set
- Dumbbell Bench Press Fflat – 3 sets, 10-12 reps per set
- Dumbbell Rows To Chest – 3 sets, 10-12 reps per set
- One Arm Cable Flys – 3 sets per arm, 12-15 reps per set
Back major, Shoulders minor
- Lateral Pulldowns Wide Grip – 4 sets, 10-12 reps per set
- One Arm Dumbbell Rows – 3 sets per arm, 12 reps per set
- Straight Arm Lateral Pulldowns – 3 sets, 10-12 reps per set
- Sleeper Row Close Grip – 3 sets, 12-15 reps per set
- Face Pulls – 4 sets, 12-15 reps per set
Legs, Traps and Forearms
- Front Squats – 4 sets, 10-12 reps per set
- Deep Knee/Dumbbell Lunges – 3 set, 8 reps per set
- Calf Raises – 4 sets, 12-15 reps per set
- Dumbbell or Barbell Behind Back Shrugs – 4 sets, 12-15 reps per set
- Wrist Curl Behind Back – 3 sets, 12-15 reps per set
Arms (bi/tri jump set) and Shoulders
- Overhead Press – either Dumbbell, Military or Savickas – 4 sets, 8-10 reps per set
- Triceps Pushdown Close Grip – 3 sets, 12-15 reps per set
- Dumbbell Bicep Curls – 3 sets, 8-12 reps per set
- Triceps Pushdown Wide Grip – 3 sets, 12-15 reps per set
- Dumbbell Forward Raises – 3 sets per arm, 10-12 reps per set
- Tri-delt Cable Row – 3 sets, 10-12 reps per set