The following are my top 100 muscle building and fitness myths.
1) You need to stick within the rep range of 8 to 12 to gain muscle.
2) You need to use low reps to build strength.
3) There is a magic PCF ratio.
4) You must micromanage your diet with a specific PCF ratio to add muscle mass.
5) Bodybuilders aren’t strong.
6) Powerlifters aren’t muscular.
7) Powerlifters are fat.
8) Powerlifters need to be fat to be strong.
9) There is a single magic training system.
10) You can get big on Joe professional bodybuilder’s routine.
11) 5×5 programs are for strength only.
12) Eating fat makes you fat.
13) Eating cholesterol gives you high cholesterol.
14) Meat gives you heart disease, high cholesterol, strokes, heart attacks, high blood pressure and clogs your arteries.
15) Most gym trainers know how to help you gain muscle.
16) You should worship scientific studies on training.
17) You should worship scientific studies on nutrition.
18) You should worship scientific studies on supplements.
19) All supplement companies are evil.
20) All supplements are evil.
21) All supplements are useless.
22) All supplement benefits are hyped lies.
23) Your muscles can be confused.
24) Mike Mentzer was sane.
25) Joe Weider was a guru.
26) You must switch training programs every 8-12 weeks.
27) You must eat every 2.5 to 3 hours or you will die.
28) The body adapts to progressively heavier weights.
29) Squat form can be mastered.
30) Deadlift form can be mastered.
31) Bench press form can be mastered.
32) Deep squats are worse for your knees than half squats.
33) Steroids are evil.
34) Testosterone (TRT) is bad for a man’s health.
35) Roid rage.
36) You can get as massive as you want as a natural bodybuilder.
37) You can shock, bomb, or blitz your way into a new 5 pound muscle gain as an advanced natural bodybuilder.
38) Squats are bad for your knees.
39) Deadlifts are bad for your back.
40) Smith machines are a wise alternative to barbell work.
41) Supplementing with BCAAs is pointless.
42) Low reps don’t build muscle.
43) You need to train like Arnold.
44) Fullbody routines are dated and useless.
45) Westside is the only way.
46) Never let your knees go past your toes on squats.
47) GOMAD is evil!
48) You must get a pump.
49) Soreness equals muscle growth.
50) Muscle makes you slow and clunky.
51) You must never cheat on any exercise, ever!
52) The mind muscle connection is the true path to gains.
53) Muscle turns to fat when you stop working out.
54) It is easy for women to get bulky like Arnold.
55) You can get a 6 pack from situps or crunches.
56) Only a 100% clean diet is viable for muscle gains.
57) Pro bodybuilders eat clean all year round.
58) Powerlifters eat dirty all year round.
59) Bodybuilders are all gay.
60) If you took steroids, you would look like Ronnie Coleman.
61) If you took steroids, you would be as strong as Bill Kazmaier.
62) Diet is 90%.
63) Train more frequently and you’ll make faster gains!
64) Train longer and you’ll make faster gains!
65) You can get big without using (relatively) heavy ass weight.
66) Isolation exercises carve deep striations!
67) Isolation exercises pack on a lot of muscle mass.
68) Using machines is the safest way to train.
69) Women don’t need barbell and dumbbell exercises.
70) You can change the shape of a bicep peak.
71) High reps should be used when cutting.
72) Women shouldn’t train like men.
73) Squatting on a ball is sane and safe.
74) “Supplement X” will boost your testosterone by 1200%!!!
75) “Supplement X” is a legal steroid!!!
76) “Supplement X” helped Joe Schmoe pack on 30 pounds of muscle in 12 weeks!!!
77) Whey protein isn’t a processed food.
78) Someone with a great body has all the answers.
79) Someone that is strong has all the answers.
80) Exercise makes a woman’s boobs bigger.
81) When you lift weights, your fat is replaced with muscle.
82) You don’t need progressively heavier weights.
83) If you exercise, you can eat whatever you want at all times and not get fat.
84) Low fat foods are good for you.
85) Eggs will kill you!
86) Whole milk will kill you!
87) Women can train with light weights and “tone”.
88) The belief that you can “tone” without working hard in the gym and busting your nuts with heavy ass weight.
89) You are automatically a hardgainer because you aren’t making progress.
90) Steroid users don’t train hard.
91) Natural lifters can’t be strong.
92) Natural bodybuilders can’t look big.
93) You should trust online advice if it sounds intelligent.
94) You should trust intelligent advice from a trainer without photos or videos online.
95) You have to train until failure or you will die!
96) You need high intensity techniques.
97) If it doesn’t have scientific backing, it’s not viable.
98) Fruit is evil.
99) Protein shakes make you fat.
100) You can’t make progress training 2- 3 times per week.
Questions on any of these myths? Please visit the Muscle and Brawn forum.